Fish Tacos of Death

"Perch ye on this bed of crumbs." -- The CrumbMaster

My Photo
Name:
Location: Hell, Michigan, United States

I like birds

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Evolution

This is my first blog in awhile, it seemed like all my random blogs of nothingness were just making people mad (putting an end to my random writing career), so I'm blogging today to ask an actual question and get some input. What does everyone think about the theory of evolution?

I'm taking Biology II at college right now, and for the first time, I'm actually starting to be very fascinated with it. I think life is just amazing, especially microscopic organisms. The problem is that the theory of evolution, which ties all of this biology together apparently, conflicts with my own religious beliefs in many regards. I figure there is some way to reconcile the two (for example, SOME elements of the theory may be true). I know this is ultimately my decision, but does anyone have any comments on it? Evolution makes the claim, essentially, that it has overwhelming evidence for its truthfulness. Is it true? Is it partly true? Is the natural selection element of it true? I read the first presidency's statement on it from 1903, and it was good, but didn't really help me out. I don't know. I need an explanation that incorporates the two (the gospel AND the theory of evolution) into one. Surely there's an explanation.

And NO, don't think I'm going apostate or something. But at some point, I have to stop pretending that I believe, utterly and infallibly, in both things, when they both make completely opposing claims.

Comments? Or does anyone still read this blog?

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I ONLY READ YOUR BLOG IF YOU POST RANDOM NOTHINGNESS THAT MAKES ME ANGRY. GOODBYE, HOLDEN.

February 5, 2011 at 11:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey it's Beth. Sheridan's going to write to you whenever he gets a spare moment. He's a big evolution fan.

February 5, 2011 at 11:58 AM  
Blogger HLR said...

@ Beth: Hey, that would be great! Thanks!
@ Dave: SHUT UP. GET OUT.

February 6, 2011 at 1:14 AM  
Blogger Tab said...

“The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function.“ -F Scott Fitzgerald

February 24, 2011 at 1:05 PM  
Blogger Kenn Anderson said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

February 24, 2011 at 5:17 PM  
Blogger Kenn Anderson said...

What a crazy blog, it's awesome. If you ever want to discuss religion or evolution I would LOVE it. Or just ask me stuff... Its only my favorite thing to talk about. And remember "True faith is not believing without evidence, it's believing contrary to it." -me

see you at the rock wall:)

February 24, 2011 at 5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home