Fish Tacos of Death

"Perch ye on this bed of crumbs." -- The CrumbMaster

My Photo
Name:
Location: Hell, Michigan, United States

I like birds

Monday, February 28, 2011

HOLDEN HAS QUESTIONS

WHAT SHOULD I DO???

1) I hate chemistry. I'm pretty sure I got the class's lowest score on our last test.

2) I took a walk through the art gallery at the Eccles building and realized how much I would REALLY like to do something creative for a profession.

3) I took a walk through the science building and realized how much I would REALLY like to do something that makes money for a profession.

4) I walked around a lot today, actually, doing some stupid assignment for my "intro to the biology major' class where I was supposed to visit every building on campus and then write up a little short description on what goes on there. I learned absolutely nothing interesting, except that the heating plant heats and cools 85 to 90% of the buildings on campus. WOW!!!

5) All this walking around gave me some time to think and ponder about life, like how I really hate chemistry.

6) For all of you who read this blog, I need suggestions on what to do with my life. I'm pondering doing medical radiography or being a surgical technician. They don't make a ton of money, but they would make my wife and I enough to survive and get me through medical school (or probably any school, for that matter). Plus they don't take too long to accomplish.

7) I'm pretty sure I don't want to major in biology, which means that this semester was probably a huge waste. Some aspects of it are interesting, but there would be too many pointless and boring classes to take, like "plant taxonomy" and similar baloney like that. Not that I couldn't force myself to be interested in things like that, but I really feel like jumping right into something (like the med programs), rather than wasting a couple years learning stuff I will never have any use for.

8) 8 is a good number, and I like numbering things.

9) 9 is for: give me $9,000, somebody, now.

10) So back to my art gallery adventure. I was overwhelmed, seriously, at the art in that gallery, except for one, entitled 'The Morning Breaks" that showed what was supposed to be a portrait of St. George back in the early days (with the temple in the middle of the city), and Pine Valley Mountain looming in the background. AND THE SUN WAS COMING UP OVER PINE VALLEY MOUNTAIN. I mean...seriously? Get your directions straight, man. Your art means nothing to me now.

General Burnside.
 11) For all of you ward members who are having difficulties explaining the gospel to your protestant friends, let me handle it. In the words of Fransisco Elson, center for the Utah Jazz: "Hey guys, I got this."

12) Does anyone have any recurring dreams they would like to share? I know this blog is going on way too long, but I have a lot to say, so leave me alone. I have a recurring dream where I go to some town or village north of here. I don't know where it is. I have the dream about every other night. Actually, one time, the town was Enterprise, and Emily and I were staying at a huge hotel there called 'The Enterprise Hilton," and Emily went off to use the bathroom, and before she went, she told me to get her "one of those Enterprise Hilton souvenir pens." So I did. The end.

13) is actually Emily's favorite number.

14) Should I be a respiratory therapist?

15) Should I be a physical therapist?

16) Should I eat some pancakes?

Comments are welcome. No swearing.

This came from AwkardFamilyPhotos.com and I just really enjoyed it, I'm sorry.

5 Comments:

Blogger tifsong said...

hey holdy.

i don't think anyone can actually tell you what to do. but if you want to do something creative, look into writing for some sort of outlet. i would suggest that because you are a good writer. you could also work another career and write. so the creative part is covered.

this semester wasn't a waste, simple because you know that what you want isn't what you thought you wanted anymore. no waste there. totally and perfectly time well spent figuring out that isn't what you're into.

talk to Kenner about being a physical therapist. and the education required. he's doing something along those lines, somewhat close, i think, talk to him.

I think you should do something that makes you happy. what can you picture doing every single day for the rest of your life? don't think about money- yet. just think about the first question. it's YOUR life. obviously make sure Em is so happy with your decision. but it is what you'll be doing until retirement, and that could come decades from now.

pray about it!
-tif

February 28, 2011 at 2:13 PM  
Blogger BEAU said...

I think that you should focus on the subjects that fascinate you. What you think about about when you don't have to. If it is a creative field, well why not go for it? Success is available for those who really want it. In any field. If money is your primary concern, I have some reading to suggest. The Five Lessons A Millionaire Taught Me. I am reading it now.

February 28, 2011 at 2:53 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i also hate chemistry

however, i love things like plant taxonomy. biology is my major because its what im interested in. i think i would enjoy being a professor.

i think you should write too, youre really good at it.

THATLL BE FIFTY BUCKS. SEEYA NEXT WEEK.

February 28, 2011 at 3:02 PM  
Blogger Robin Cole said...

Hey Holden,

I came within an inch of attending an out of state MFA writing program after I graduated in 09 from SUU. I thought it was everything, the only way to go, the answer to my career goals.

If I would have taken that opportunity, I would be at least 50k in debt and with (at best) a position teaching at a community college or writing grants for a floundering organization. The recession scared me out of this choice. Instead, I sucked it up, transferred to the U, and started in remedial science classes.

Two years later, I'm preparing to apply for PT school. Writing gives me the most fulfillment, but there is absolutely nothing like walking into a patient room, be it critical care or clinical care, and helping the situation. Working with a healthcare team is the closest to an "ideal" career, in my opinion. It is challenging, it is real, and it matters. Discussing Eliot is ridiculously fun, but when I watch a researcher explain his project, or a PT pull a kid out of a bed, the importance of literary theory dissolves.

If you love writing, you will write. I write almost every day. It's not something that will go away or be killed by biology (but holy, watch out for physics...that'll do it). Sorry this is so long, but I have an idea how you're feeling. These sciences courses are not my forte either, but I finally feel secure. I know I'll be able to support myself and any children I have.

Good luck! Only you can choose which path is right for you, but this was the choice I made a couple of years ago, and I don't regret it at all. Follow your strengths with a healthy dose of work ethic and pragmatism and everything will be all right.

February 28, 2011 at 3:58 PM  
Blogger HLR said...

Thanks for all your comments guys. I'll figure it out. What's interesting, and I never would've said this before last semester, is that I can really see myself doing ANYTHING in the field of medicine. Human anatomy and biology is so fascinating to me. I may be focusing on the money too much right now, but I don't think that's the sole reason I feel like jumping into something right away. I just am bored with what I'm learning right now, and feel like I could get right into a hospital setting doing what I like.

And yeah, I also like writing, but I don't know what I like writing. I'll figure it out. I might just jump into a quick medicine program, for the purpose of getting hospital experience and getting me through school financially. Then I could do something more fulfilling, like physical therapy or something, and have double specialties. I don't know. Thanks again for all your advice, you're all really smart.

March 1, 2011 at 6:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home