Fish Tacos of Death

"Perch ye on this bed of crumbs." -- The CrumbMaster

My Photo
Name:
Location: Hell, Michigan, United States

I like birds

Saturday, October 31, 2009

1 Corinthians 13:8-13

It appears as though I have to break away from my silliness for a moment and pose the question as to what the heck these verses mean. This was my facebook status as well. One of the biggest reasons I’m intrigued is because I prayed before I started reading, which is something I rarely do (I’m a terrible person), and asked God to help me find something I could apply to my life, since I seem to be failing on finding application in the scriptures lately.

Why is it so interesting? Paul mentions that when “that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.” As it is, I don’t know what “perfect” thing he’s referring to. These verses follow the famous section regarding charity, as Paul describes the vainness in having spiritual gifts if we don’t have charity. Is he still talking about charity? Is he talking about Christ returning at his second coming? Is he talking about actual perfection coming to us when we’re celestialized exalted beings? Or is he simply speaking of “perfect knowledge?” The line that really gets me wondering is in verse 12, as he compares “now” and “then”. “For now, we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.” (italics added.)

That line which I italicized is pretty weird, but it’s strange that when I read it, another scripture popped into my head, from Doctrine and Covenants 76, verse 94, in which the blessed state of exalted beings is described: “They who dwell in his presence are the church of the Firstborn; and they see as they are seen, and know as they are known, having received of his fulness and of his grace.”

What does it mean to be “known as we are known?”

What is “that which is perfect?”

And what does it all have to do with faith, hope, and charity, so abundantly mentioned in 1 Corinthians 13?

Thoughts, anyone?

1 Comments:

Blogger Jade said...

I think it "that which is perfect" could refer to any of those things. Perfect charity, our perfect Savior, our exalted selves, perfect knowledge. It doesn't have to be just one answer. I think the last part of that verse refers to our perfect knowledge at the last day - our perception is clouded now by the veil, our prejudices, our pride, etc, but in the end we will see everything as clearly as God sees us. The D&C verse to me says about the same thing. We will be able to see what we really are, as a perfect God sees us, and know everything as perfectly as God knows us. Verse 8 I think ties this concept in to charity, which "never faileth," unlike the imperfect things in this world, which eventually will.

November 2, 2009 at 8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home