Fish Tacos of Death

"Perch ye on this bed of crumbs." -- The CrumbMaster

My Photo
Name:
Location: Hell, Michigan, United States

I like birds

Monday, July 8, 2013

Humerus

I was watching the British version of Whose Line is it Anyway during one of my breaks, and found myself not laughing and not even cracking a grin. And it is a serious deal when no grins are cracked. I didn't understand the humor apparently. The performers were supposed to be taking on identities of people I had never heard of. Who the heck is Alan Burnett? Why does every performer deliver every one of their lines so dramatically like they're quoting Shakespeare lines? Why is this not funny? But then I thought about it, and realized that British people probably think the same thing about the American version of the show. Aw, look at me, being all empathetic towards the British. I truly am the culture bridge between our two countries.

This experience reminded me of several months ago when my wife and I tried to watch the British version of The Office. I found myself, also, not laughing. I didn't understand the jokes. Actually, for the most part, I could barely even understand the words the people were saying. And then I watched the American version, and I was GIGGLES APLENTY! No, I just think it's weird, but kind of cool, you know? That everyone is so different, we all giggle at different things, culturally speaking. Which is actually is also kind of lame, and makes me think that I could never be friends with a British person, because, how could we laugh together? How? You're right, I'm a laugh bigot. Just kidding,we could be friends, but it would have to be one of those friendships where we never laugh. We would just have to be stone-faced during every interaction and discuss serious issues. It could work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home