Fish Tacos of Death

"Perch ye on this bed of crumbs." -- The CrumbMaster

My Photo
Name:
Location: Hell, Michigan, United States

I like birds

Monday, February 27, 2012

My Thoughts Exactly

I used to really like the band Coldplay. They were freakin sweet. They had a lovely sound, driven by mostly GUITAR and PIANO. And now their music is garbage, and most of their songs I hear on the radio are extremely annoying. Oh, here's a quote from somebody else about Coldplay.

As a great admirer of Coldplay’s early work on releases like 2000’s “Parachutes” (including international hits like “Yellow,”) or 2002’s “A Rush of Blood to the Head,” with tracks like “Clocks” and “The Scientist,” seeing the bands development through the course of the last decade has been more than a little bit worrying. The band’s third release “X&Y” (2005) began a gradual departure from the personal and intimate, guitar and piano based, slightly rough-around-the-edges alternative rock of their earlier creations, toward more heavily studio-produced, mass market music, in the style of radio friendly hit singles like “Speed of Sound” and “Fix You.” http://www.wuso.org/?p=594

GO BACK, CHRIS MARTIN. GO BACK TO BEING GOOD. FOR ME.



3 Comments:

Blogger Walker said...

This is something of a new perspective for me and an issue I didn't understand until I heard about the career of Philip Glass. From his point of view, a musician should be continually reinventing themselves in order to move forward as an artist.

Case in point, I used to love old Metallica and hate new Metallica. (Now I think it is all garbage, but that is a different story.) Similarly, I really like Metric's newer music, so I tried to listen to their old stuff. It's crap. I mean, I get physically nauseated listening to it.

However, I bet there is some monkey somewhere that hates Metric's new stuff and loves their old music.

Perhaps it is about percentages. I can listen to approximately 27.24% of a Coldplay album and enjoy it immensely, but the remaining songs cause me to have homicidal fantasies because I hate them so much. This goes for ALL of Coldplay's albums.

Maybe they haven't changed, Holden. MAYBE YOU DID.

Or it could just be that they are pop-music sellout losers.

Seriously, I'm giving you a lot of options here.

February 28, 2012 at 3:25 PM  
Blogger tifsong said...

I like Coldplay. I still do. Just in a different way. I don't want to explain THAT, so I hope it just makes sense.

you're great holdy.

February 28, 2012 at 8:11 PM  
Blogger HLR said...

Thank you for the options Matt.

NO. CHRIS MARTIN SHOULD WRITE HIS MUSIC WITH ME IN MIND. ME.

No, seriously, you're probably right. As a musician, it's likely that you have to take steps to "get heard" more, like make more studio produced radio-friendly singles. Some bands do this, others prefer their smaller following. But I kinda hate that. Some people disliked their earlier stuff and now they like them. You can't please everyone.

OR...CAN YOU???

Oh, by the way, what sort of homicidal fantasies do Coldplay albums invoke, Matt?

To Tiffani...no it doesn't make sense. You should explain yourself. They are just so...I don't know..."poppish" now, and even though I haven't heard their latest album, I've read reviews that it's more "dance club" friendly. I mean...really? I wouldn't have believed they would evolve to this point if someone had told me this 10 years ago. To go from piano-guitar driven alternative rock to more dance friendly tunes seems like kind of a leap. I don't know though. I think they sold out. And then again, I have a REALLY narrow taste in music, so not a lot of things please me.

February 29, 2012 at 11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home